Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

When The Refiner Is At Work

He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver...

A refiner is a specially skilled person who removes impurities or other unwanted matter from something (or in this context - someone). He knows the right temperature at which the unwanted matter will be removed. He sets and watches to ensure the refining process is done effectively.

There are times when God allows us to pass through a fire in order that He may refine us, purify us, and bring out the best in us. Today's scripture tells us that He "sits" as a refiner and purifier. He does not see us in the fire and walk away. He does not let the fire get too hot (that we may be burned) or get too cold (that we may not come out refined as He intended). He "sits", watching closely and keeping the temperature right. What others may think would destroy us would make us stronger and much better people - if we allow God. 

Today's scripture is consistent with His promises. He said, "When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze" [Isaiah 43:2]. We know that "the temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure" [1Corinthians 10:13].

No matter what you go through, be rest assured that your loving Father is with you, watching, and ensuring that the situation does not burn you. In the midst of the situation, ask Him to show you what impurities He wants to remove or what characteristics He wants to bring out of you. His plans for you are always good - plans to give you the future you hope for.

Prayer: My Loving Father, I thank You, for You desire the best for me. When it seems I am passing through a fire which You have allowed, may I have the right attitude about it. May I realize that I am not alone but You are with me, ensuring that the fire does not consume me. May I look to You for what good You want to bring out of me and what impurities You want to remove from me. May I remain submissive to Your will. In Jesus Name, Amen.


One-Year Daily Bible Reading Plan - Dec. 19 2010 - Psalms 95-96 (OT), Mark 5 (NT)


God’s Love and Mine…