Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

The Beginning Of Wisdom

...How then can I do this great evil and sin against God?

After Joseph was placed in Potiphar's house, he faced constant temptation from Potiphar's wife, who wanted him to commit adultery with her [Genesis 39]. He did not give in. His reason for refusing to commit adultery was not merely his respect for his master or the possibility that he could lose the position he just gained. His refusal was because he feared God - as shown in his words above.

Though Joseph got caught up in lies and was put in prison, he was granted favor while in the prison because the Lord was with him. Whatever he did, the LORD made it succeed. Eventually (years later) he was exalted by Pharoah, who set him over all the land of Egypt.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom [Proverbs 9:10]. Fear here means to regard with feelings of respect and reverence; consider hallowed or exalted; or be in awe of. When you fear your Loving Father, you will respect Him, you will obey Him, and you will not want to do anything to grieve Him. Your Loving Father knows that self-determination is not enough to make you obey Him. That is why He has given us the Holy Spirit who will teach us all things, including what the Father likes and empower us to obey Him. 

The choices of one who fears God are always wise choices, which eventually lead to what God has in store for His children. As you continue to make your decisions based on your love and respect for your Loving Father, you will find out that those decisions will end up being wise choices. The Lord rewards those who obey Him.

Prayer: My Loving Father, thank You for revealing to me that the beginning of wisdom is to fear You. I have seen an example of someone who respected You and how his life turned out despite the temporary setbacks after he had made wise choices.  Forgive me for the times I have made decisions that did not honour Your will. My Lord, thank You for the Holy Spirit who teaches me all things. Help me to be more conscious of Your Spirit with me, that I may be guided in my choices and have knowledge of what pleases You. As I make my choices today with respect and fear for you, even if they do not bring the result I want, I will rest knowing that You have great plans for my future. Thank You, Awesome Father. In Jesus Name, Amen.


One-Year Daily Bible Reading Plan - May 31 2010 - 2 Chronicles 15-18 (OT), 1 Corinthians 5 (NT).

Pray for someone today - Pray for the body of Christ. Pray for the empowerment of the children of God to go into the world to teach and heal people. Pray that the Holy Spirit will help them realize their spiritual gifts and use them to the glory of God. You may also pray this prayer for yourself. 

Joyful' Toon For Today


God’s Love and Mine…