Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Choosing To Follow God

...If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me
[Matthew 16:24, NKJV]

God doesn't impose Himself on people, instead He gives everyone free will and plenty of room to choose whom they will serve. He however, pours out His unwavering love to us in forgiveness of our sins and in replacing our weaknesses with His strength. He turns His ear towards us to hear us when we call and promises to gather us to Himself, if we make up our minds to follow Him. God has proved time and again that His authority is unrivalled and His compassion unsearchable. To the one that decides to call Him 'Master', He gives a wide embrace.
To succeed in our walk with Him, we are to deny ourselves and take up our cross. To deny ourselves, we must say no to the strongest cravings of our nature, particularly of earthly ease, comfort, dignity or glory. We are to do instead what God requires of us at every moment. The weight of such sacrifice has never been light and it constitutes the cross we carry as we choose to follow God. The pain of sowing that seed, the grief of facing persecution for the sake of Christ, the energy required for self control over that sin is the cross we bear.

As we follow Jesus, we are to humble self to the background and make him our teacher. We are to obey His instructions and uphold His cause, although it leads us to heaven, by way of a cross. Jesus encourages everyone who decides to follow Him with a promise saying, '...whoever loses His life for my sake will find it'.

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for your encouragement today and accepting me into your household. As I carry my cross and follow you, I pray Lord give me strength and courage. For my sake Jesus, you carried your cross to victory, I receive strength from you. Every self indulgence I have preferred over you, I lay aside to your will. Be my master and let me be your humble servant to eternal victory in Jesus name, Amen.

One-Year Daily Bible Reading Plan - June 27 2010 - Psalm 9-11 (OT), Galatians 3 (NT).

Pray for someone today - Let's pray for Christians who carry heavy crosses for the sake of God's Kingdom, that they will get their life back here on earth and in heaven.