Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Uncommon Invitation

I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance
[Luke 5:32, NIV]

It is very natural to see people who have attained a level of righteousness identify with Christ. These are the people who want to do what He does, and go where He sends. These are the people who want to defend Christ to the letter, and keep Him in their company all day long. By this, the privileges in Christ are guarded as exclusive rights of those who have proved themselves worthy of Him, in doing good and living right.

In Christ's walk on Earth, He did not despise the crowd of good people who flocked around him, but he particularly looked out for those who were not counted worthy of His company. He delighted in befriending those who had been demon-possessed, lepers, fishermen, and even despised tax collectors. Jesus showed that no one was too poor, too sinful or too insignificant to be His friend.

Do you sometimes feel unworthy of God's love and attention? Do you feel you've wronged Him too much to call Him friend? Do you feel there are others whose lives are more befitting of Christ than yours? The good news is that Jesus prefers you over all else, to be your best friend. Accept Him today and enjoy the compassion He gives.

Prayer: Thank you so much Lord Jesus for welcoming me into your fold and calling me friend. I love to be your friend and enjoy your companionship in my life. Please hold me in your embrace and help me to walk with you one step at a time. Help me to be like You, Lord Jesus I pray, Amen.

One-Year Daily Bible Reading Plan - Sept. 14 2010 - Daniel 4-6 (OT), Titus 2 (NT).