Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

Living Beyond Self

..and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.
The LORD will guide you always; He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. 
[Isaiah 58:10-11] 

The world has somehow made us believe that our fulfillment comes from how much we can obtain and gather for ourselves, many of us live life in search for higher paying jobs, bigger contracts, better cars, bigger houses...and the list goes on. We tell ourselves, if I can just get that house, then I'd be satisfied, then we get the house, and realize, it wasn't all we thought it would be after all, and the struggle continues.

We have become a selfish generation, so much so that even the plight of the under privileged does not stir our hearts anymore. Or maybe we believe we are too busy, tied up with tight schedules, we tell ourselves that we really have no time to do anything else. But this is the kind of Christianity we have been called to , to feed the hungry and  help the helpless and oppressed, then the Lord would guide, satisfy and strengthen us.

As much as it is a good thing to increase and acquire material wealth, even more expedient is the grace to reach out to other with the increase that we have received from God. There is one who scatters, yet increases more, and there is one who withholds more than is right,but it leads to poverty. So today, and through the days to come, take a step outside of the me cocoon, and ask the Lord to show you ways to be a blessing to those who need your touch, you would be amazed how much more fulfilling it is to give than to recieve.
 
 
Prayer: Lord, today I ask for the grace to be used as your vessel to bless another. You have blessed me with so much and I know that the blessings are not just for me but that I may share and spread your love abroad. i am here as an ambassador of your kingdom and so Lord, i submit to you, touch lives through me as I yield to give of myself to others. Help me look beyond myself to see the many opportunities for ministering that abounds. Amen

One-Year Daily Bible Reading Plan - Dec. 12 2010 - Psalms 83-84 (OT), Matthew 27(NT)